Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (28): Maid of Secrets

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Visit Breaking The Spine to see more entries!



This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:
 Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan
Release Date:  May 7th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Format: Hardcover


 Goodreads Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Meg Fellowes is a wry, resourceful thief forced to join an elite group of female spies in Queen Elizabeth’s Court. There she must solve a murder, save the Crown, and resist the one thing that will become her greatest freedom–and her deadliest peril.

For Meg and her fellow spies are not alone in their pursuit of the murderer who stalks Windsor Castle.

A young, mysterious Spanish courtier, Count Rafe de Martine, appears at every turn in the dark and scandal-filled corridors of the Queen’s summer palace. And though secrets and danger are Meg’s stock-in-trade, she’s never bargained on falling in love…



Reasons I want to read & own this book: 
1. The genre. I am a huge fan of YA historical fiction and this book sounds like it's gonna be amazing. A character who is a thief and later has to become a spy in Queen Elizabeth's court --> I'm in!

2. The title.  Maid of Secrets. So amazingly clever. Oh em gee. Maid of Secrets as in, the main character is a girl, a maid (which in historical times meant she was an unmarried girl) who is made of secrets since she is a thief turned spy in the Queen's court. I bet she's made of secrets all right with that background :O
Ohhh, I just can't with the awesomeness. So much intrigue already. I love it! 


Btw -> I would love to thank the ever so awesome Lauren @ The Headless Owl who featured this book recently on one of her Waiting on Wednesday posts because it just looks like a really cool book and I'm excited that I found out about it.


What do you guys think? :)





 

26 comments:

  1. I haven't read any historical fiction, it is just a genre I don't have much knowledge of. Maybe this is a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha. Have you heard of The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare by any chance? Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince, which are the 1st two books in that series, got me into reading more historical fiction. Really good books. Besides being Historical fiction, they are also a blend of Urban Fantasy and Steampunk.

      Delete
  2. I love this cover. The books sounds really good to. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read very many historical YA books but this does sound really good. Is Grave Mercy considered historical YA? I think that's the last one of this genre that I read and I loved that one.

    Btw, you asked if you needed to read the other Abbi Glines books before While It Lasts. I would say you don't have to read Breathe but I would read Because of Low. That's where we first meet Cage and his man-whoring ways. Lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks for letting me know :)

      I think Grave Mercy would be considered Historical YA. Yes. Glad to hear you loved it, btw. I am dying to read that one. It looks amazing!

      Delete
    2. I have a question for you. You seem to be able to link up your post when commenting. I can do it with some blogs but there are ones that won't accept my <a href.... html code, but you still seem able to do it. How do you manage that?

      Delete
    3. Hmm. I wonder why that is because I use that same html code on every blog I go to.

      Here it goes:

      *<*a href=*"link here*"> Title of the link here *<*/*a>

      remove the (*) and that's the one that I use everywhere.

      Do you think it's that you might be missing an (') or (=) in the code somewhere. Because what I always do is that I hit preview before I leave a comment and click the link to my blog post to see if it's working and if it's not, I go back to see if something is missing in the code.

      Delete
  4. Ohh an elite group of female spies in Queen Elizabeth’s Court?!! I love that! Not a big historical fan but I love the Queen Elizabeth time period. Great pick and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read 'adult' (.. not erotic!) historical fiction before but this sounds really good! I love a story set at court :) Good pick!

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding this to my TB list!!!! I love books about spies and thieves so this should be right up my alley!!

    Thanks for dropping by!

    My WoW
    Renae @ Rolling with the Moments

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm. Not really my type of read, but I love the cover.

    Thanks for stopping by
    @ Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pick! I haven't heard of this yet but it sounds good. Love the title. I really enjoy historical fiction so I will have to add this to my list.

    Thanks for visiting my post!
    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeep! How come I've never heard of this before? I LOVE YA historical fiction, so this is definitely going into my wish-list. I love the word play with the title as well.
    It's too bad the book comes out in May! :(
    So long to wait!
    Thanks for sharing, Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *High five* for loving historical YA, Nick :)

      I know, right? It's a bit far away but can't wait till it finally comes out. Looks so awesome.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  10. I am definitely starting to grow into historical fiction and this one sounds awesome! Can't wait to read this one. Boy my TBR list is growing by leaps and bounds today!! Lots of play on words. Love that you caught that!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Heather. My TBR always grows on WoW days. And thanks. I love it when authors use word play in their book titles! :)

      Delete
  11. the cover looks so adult lol
    gr8 wow

    my wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's what I thought about the cover too. But the book is YA. And thanks :)

      Delete
  12. I have yet to read a YA historical. Sounds good. Thanks for stopping by My WOW and WW. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting book :D Hope you'll love it ;)
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, thank you, you guys! This has been the craziest time. As it happens, the book has a brand new cover, in part **because** this one looked a bit too adult! :) I'll be sharing the new cover officially as soon as the old one is removed places, but I seriously can't thank you enough for commenting on the book and hosting me on a Waiting on Wednesday post. I am honored, truly!!!

    Hopefully you like the new cover, too! :)

    ~jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see the new cover and you're welcome, Jennifer! :)

      Delete
  15. Oh, the cover's out!! I'm not a fan of that cover at all, but I'm still so excited for this book! Thanks for the shoutout, Jen! I hope we both like this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so feel free to tell me what is on your mind :)

This is an award and tag free blog, though I am always incredibly flattered when someone thinks of me.

Thank you for stopping by and have an awesome day <3