Friday, October 19, 2018

Review: Hard Trigger by S.L. Hannah

Hard Trigger: A Rogue RomanceHard Trigger: A Rogue Romance by S L Hannah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First of all, I have to say that this book was such a surprise and completely explosive. There is an underlying raw energy throughout the story that refuses to be ignored.

The writing! I seriously don't understand how Hannah does it, but her writing just sucks you in. It is so easy to get lost in her stories. There isn't any rereading of the first paragraph, due to awkwardness. You are automatically pulled in from the first sentence with effortless writing that is straight to the point, but sophisticated. I also love that this book is not lengthy at all but manages to take on a lot of complex themes, from revenge to corrupt business practices, to murder plots and the most difficult, yet universal sentiment of all, which is love. To be specific, romantic love.

Now moving on to the characters. Victoria, the female lead, and Diego, the male lead in this story, are incredibly strong and unapologetic characters. Victoria is like a young female James Bond who will stop at nothing to achieve her goals. She had a mysterious air to her. I like that she was interested in aviation and that she was a woman who did not deny herself any romantic passion. She had a layered background in terms of her nationality and family life. And Diego, Victoria's love interest, just oozed power and intelligence and had an insatiable passion for Victoria, making them the perfect match.

What makes this book special is that Victoria, the main character in this book, is not the typical heroine with a heart of gold. She does things that are shocking and that to some might even seem unforgivable, but still manages to make the reader root for her success. And despite some of the untraditional things she does compared to most female leads, she doesn't wallow in self pity or remorse or waits to be rescued. She goes for what she wants with an unwavering determination.

Besides the characters, I love the international settings that this book takes place in. The reader literally feels like they are on a risky ride around the world that has constant action and danger lurking around the corner. Victoria is originally from South Africa, while Diego, her love interest, came from a prominent family in Mexico. Together they make a very fiery and complicated and passionate couple. And if you add a certain underlying rivalry between their families, you have a really strong and intricate dynamic between them.

Any reader of Hannah can tell you, that as an author she doesn't shy away from taboo or strong topics. This book is intense from start to finish and the romance is fire! The energy is raw and sensous and insatiable between Victoria and Diego. So, I feel like this book is for anyone who likes an intense and untraditional romance.

The background and subplots in this book were like a mix of the series, Queen of the South/Reina del Sur and James Bond with a mix of Mr and Mrs Smith energy. I honestly felt like I could imagine everything I was reading as a film in my head.

Huge Kudos to Hannah, who really did her research in terms of the countries and nationalities that were mentioned. The hint of Spanish phrases in the book was a really nice touch. And as a Latina myself, I felt an authenticity to the characters and places and situations I was reading.

If you are not faint of heart and want to dive into a little danger and a passionate story, this book is perfect for you. I'd recommend it to people who like action films, strong female characters, and intense and complex romances like that of J.A. Redmerski's 'In the Company of Killers' to name an example.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5.



View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Huge fan of fierce characters and it sounds like Victoria is one with Diego as the perfect counterpart. The plot sounds awesome as well!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! They are so fierce and strong willed and I don't think I've read a character like Victoria before. It's a very cool plot, indeed!

      And thank you so much! so glad you liked it. Appreciate you stopping by:)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like this was a great read! I like reading about characters that have flaws but you love them anyway. Fantastic review Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. Same here. I like flawed characters that are still likable.

      Delete

I love comments so feel free to tell me what is on your mind :)

This is an award and tag free blog, though I am always incredibly flattered when someone thinks of me.

Thank you for stopping by and have an awesome day <3